Thursday, October 29, 2015

Self-Imposed Challenge

Autumn Creek
11x14, pastel

So............. this is my husband's favorite painting (really I think he says that about most! Wise man!!!) It is currently hanging in Pitzer's Fine Arts in Wimberley, Texas if you would like to see it in person. Anyway, I digress, as you can see it is rather detailed. I feel that can lead the observer into the painting to see all that is there. But, in the art world there is the mantra that 'less is more', leave it to the imagination of the observer to fill in the gaps.

I decided that I would try to accomplish that by focusing on the 'economy of strokes' using the same reference photo. I, also, reduced the size of the painting to 8" x 10". This is  my first and second attempt at reducing the number of strokes in the painting. I used the same pastel underpainting ( set with alcohol) as I did on the original.



Autumn Creek II
8x10, pastel

Autumn Creek III

Each painting has fewer strokes than the previous one. I have my favorite, how about you, what is yours? Let me know.




4 comments:

  1. I like the Autumn Creek II best after looking at each one several times. At first I thought I like #1 best but the more I looked at them the more I liked the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Autumn Creek II best. The structure of the trees show more and I like that!

    ReplyDelete