Sunday, September 18, 2016

Autumn Pond

Autumn Pond
6" x 8", pastel
Click to Buy

The photo reference for this painting was taken several years ago when I was preparing to take a workshop with Richard McKinley, the guru of pastel. Didn't use it in that workshop, but decided that it was a great photo to paint now. Can you tell I am ready for the the cooler autumn weather?

I was trying to use my new set of Terry Ludwig pastels for this painting, but I have to get a lighter touch to use those soft pastels to start off a painting. So.........my first attempt was washed off with alcohol! Yes, you read that right, I washed the original painting into the sanded paper with rubbing alcohol. This allowed me to create a new painting over a beautiful, warm underpainting!

No comments:

Post a Comment