Thursday, November 29, 2012

Exploring the Process

Untitled
8 x 8, pastel

This was my second painting I attempted way back on November 19. I was enjoying just getting the pigment on the paper, exploring the painting process. I used the same design/subject that I had used in Marla Baggetta's workshop. The result---not every completed painting is a piece worthy to be framed. Sometimes it is just a learning experience, a chance to try something out of the ordinary to see what does and does not work.

That hits sort of hard for me. You see I am a pretty frugal painter, if a watercolor doesn't work, just turn it over and paint on the other side! That is not an option with pastel paper. One of the great pieces of wisdom/advice Richard McKinley shared with me is that I should use pastels over a watercolor underpainting or over an unsuccessful watercolor painting. Now that was a piece of advice I liked--one sheet of watercolor paper used front, back and then one more time!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for showing us this--I have been looking forward to seeing it. Looks like you had fun. I like your color exploration!

    ReplyDelete